FLORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND (FRCB)
QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
St. Petersburg Marriot
12600 Roosevelt Blvd
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
Friday, April 25, 2014
Meeting called to order at 9:00 AM with the pledge of allegiance following roll call.
Council Members Present: (13)
Bruce Miles, Dan O’Connor, Robert Kelly, Donté Mickens, Sandra Martin, Gloria Mills, Jesus Garcia, Sheryl Brown, Vicky Magliocchino, Paul Kaminsky, Patricia Lipovsky, Joe Minichiello and Robert Doyle, Director.
Council Members Present via Teleconference: (3)
Dwight Sayer, Lenora Marten, and Leanne Grillot
Council Members Absent: (4)
Ben Grzesik, Paul Edwards, Christopher White and Sylvia Stinson-Perez,
Council Staff: (1)
DBS Staff: (2)
Antionette Williams, Lynn Ritter and Wayne Jennings.
Becki Forsell, Mireya Hernandez, Bryan Funk, Cory Parker and Beverly Bennett.
A motion to adopt the Agenda was made and seconded. Motion passed.
Approval of February Minutes -
A motion to approve the February minutes was made and seconded. Motion passed.
Location and dates of April 2015 meeting -
A motion to have the April 2015 meeting in Miami, FL was made and seconded. Motion passed.
- Proposed date for Council travel is 4/22, Council Meeting is 4/23, Public Forum on 4/24.
Bruce Miles read a client letter addressed to the Council from Denise Marshall.
- Ms. Marshall would like sponsorship to attend a Cisco Conference.
- Council and DBS have acknowledged the letter and have responded that DBS will continue to provide services as deemed necessary.
- A teleconference with the Director and the Client will take place the week of 4/28/14.
- Council also responded that it can be a benefit for clients and DBS that further education be provided for clients who wish to pursue personal endeavors.
Decision on Public Forum Meeting Time for July Meeting
- After discussion, the Council agreed to behold the public meeting for 1 ½ hours on the evening preceding the Council Meeting.
Agenda Items for July 2014 meeting
- Bi-Law change discussion
- Discuss Public Forum Policy
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Director’s Report-Gifts and Donations
- DSO Update
- BBE Update
Previous/New Business/Open Discussion
- Patricia Lipovsky asked if the homemaker status will be under employment.
- Director Doyle responds that the homemaker status is considered to be a successful closure but not competitive. DBS is reviewing this as many skills are derived but no credit is given for persons that inquire these skills. Enabling the homemaker status helps persons gain additional independence. Competitive employment should also help with getting competitive wages.
- Jesus Garcia and Paul Edwards made a resolution to make efforts to provide proper voting devices for persons with disabilities.
A motion to adopt the Resolution was made and seconded. Motion passed.
- Specific job training and vocational opportunity programs will be available in a phased approach
- Becki Forsell reminded the Council that the Stephen Weiss application deadline is May 1, 2014 for recognition of community leaders as they pertain to persons with disabilities. All People’s Life Center will hold a State Fair in October and all persons are invited.
Meeting adjourned at 10:30 AM