FLORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND (FRCB)
QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
LORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND (FRCB) QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort
100 North Atlantic Avenue
Daytona Beach, FL 32118
Friday, October 24, 2014
Meeting called to order at 9:00 AM with the pledge of allegiance following roll call.
Council Members Present: (14)
Bruce Miles, Dan O’Connor, Robert Kelly, Donté Mickens, Sandra Martin, Patricia Lipovsky Sheryl Brown, Leanne Grillot, Lenora Marten, Sylvia Stinson-Perez, Jesus Garcia, Ben Grzesik, Vicky Magliocchino and Robert Doyle, Director.
Council Members Absent: (2) Joe Minichiello, Gloria Mills
Council Staff: (1) Alise Fields
DBS Staff Present (2): Tom Austin, Michelle Sampson.
Paul Edwards (FCB)
A motion to adopt the Agenda received followed by a second and passed.
Approval of July Minutes -
- A motion to approve the July minutes received a second and passed.
Location and dates of October 2015 meeting -
- A motion to have the October 2015 meeting in Jacksonville, FL received a second and passed.
- Proposed date for Council travel is 10/21, Council Meeting and Public Forum is 10/22, Council Meeting 10/23.
- A proposal to hold the February 2015 meeting at the DBS office in the Turlington Building was offered.
- Transportation would be provided.
- Paul Edwards proposed the Carriage House as an option.
Agenda Items for February 2015 meeting
- Special Diplomas-Leanne Grillot
- Report on GED program
- Children’s Programs 6-14 years old
- VR Goals Update
- Election of Officers
- New Member Orientation (Before Meeting)
- Committee Appointments
- Preliminary State Plan 2015 Updates
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Needs Assessments
Children’s Camp Discussion
Lenora Marten and Paul Edwards reported on the following information
- Target age group 6-13
- Emphasis on the upper end of the age group.
- Single count during the first year
- Recommend 30 enrollees from across the state of Florida
- Legally Blind
- Visually Acuity of 2200 with best correction
- Independency/High Level of Functioning
- Training to run concurrent with the camp for parents
- Training will not be held at the same location
- Connect Youth
- Personal Management
- Recreational Activities
- Proposed Date
- Summer 2016
- Steering Committee
- Responsible for planning
- Representation from the following groups
- Blind Services Foundation
- State Office of DBS
- Children’s Counselors from DBS
- Vision Program from Florida State University
- Florida Instructional Materials Center
- Responsible for reporting to the FRCB
- Consider Funding Sources
- DBS Foundation
- Gifts and Donations
- Entities such as the Lions Club
- Other funding sources that may become available
- Develop a specific implementation plan
- Improve attendance
- Future Meetings
- Lenora will schedule another teleconference on Children’s Camp
Previous/New Business/Open Discussion
- Children’s Program Definition
- Legislative Standpoints
- Funding Sources
- Systematic Approaches
- Expanded Core Curriculum
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 10:30 AM received a second and passed.