FLORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND (FRCB)
QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
FLORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND
QUARTERLY MEETING MINUTES
THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
325 WEST GAINES STREET, TURLINGTON BUILDING ROOM 1721-25
TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA 32399
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Meeting called to order at 9:00 AM with the Pledge of Allegiance following roll call.
COUNCIL MEMEBERS PRESENT: 8
Robert Kelly, Mickey Wiseman, Patricia Lipovsky, Sylvia Perez, Vickie Magliocchino, Lenora Martin, Bruce Miles, Donte Mickens, Robert Doyle
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT VIA TELEPHONE: 1
COUNCIL MEMBERS ABSENT: 5
Jesus Garcia, Leanne Grillot, Benedict Grzesik, Revered Charles Brooks, Sandra Burke
COUNCIL STAFF: 1
DBS STAFF: 1
ATTENDEE VIA TELECONFERENCE: 1
Approval of October Minutes
Sylvia Perez moved and Mikey Wiseman seconded the motion to approve the October 2015 meeting minutes. The motion was approved unanimously.
The Council Members had a discussion regarding the May meeting taking place at the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind in St. Augustine. The council decided to proceed with having the meeting at FSDB and look for an alternative location to have the public forum such as the public library close to FSDB. The council agreed to add agenda items for the May meeting for promoting the forum and reviewing the manual for planning meetings.
Agenda Items for May 11-13, 2016 – Nominations were made to include the following items:
- Protocol for promoting the forum
- Reviewing the manual related to the FRCB meeting planning
- Presentation from FSDB (Florida School for the Deaf and Blind)
- Transition program from high school to college or jobs
- Paul Edwards - Implementation of UEB (Unified English Braille) – Victoria Gaitanis
- Mikey Wiseman - Client Satisfaction Survey
- Bruce Miles- Speaker from Workforce – Chris Hart (President of CareerSource Florida). If not available in May, then in July.
- Sylvia Perez - Speaker from the FDBA (Deaf Blind Association) - Victoria Magliocchino
- Bruce Miles - Report from Camp Group
- Bruce Miles – Gifts and Donations Progress Report
Location and Date of February 2017 Meeting
Sylvia Perez moved and Mikey Wiseman seconded the motion to have the meeting in Tampa. The motion passed unanimously.
Bruce Miles moved and Mikey Wiseman seconded the motion to have the meeting on February 8, 9, and 10, 2017. The motion passed unanimously.
DBS Policy on Assistive Technology Training
Sylvia Perez -There was a discussion between the council members regarding the need for smart phone training for DBS clients. Some advantages of knowing how to operate a smart phone outlined included improved communication through email and text, effective time management using calendar, the ability to manage finances and appointments, as well as the capability of storing numerous amounts of data such as contact information. It was agreed that the smart phone is an essential tool not only for one’s job but also in all areas of life. Follow up discussions will need to take place to determine the best way for blind and visually impaired citizens to gain information about how to use devices. Some suggestions/goals moving forward include improved training/education of front line service personnel, continuing a dialogue in order to explore a resolution, and looking at adult education and continuing education classes as an alternative resource.
Conflict Resolution: Walter Blackman
The Conflict Resolution Process:
- Client has an issue such as denial of services
- Has the client discussed the issue with the district
- A Denial of Service form is sent to the client
- It is explained to the client that the resolution process starts when we receive the client portion returned.
- The client is told that the state office will respond within 4 weeks
- The client portion is sent to the district office
- The district will complete the portion on the form as to why the service was denied.
- The district has 2 days to return the form
- The form is sent to the Conflict Resolution Team
- A date will be set for a meeting with the client
- After the meeting with the client, there will be another meeting between the Conflict Resolution Team and Walter Blackman to discuss a recommendation.
- The recommendation is sent to Lauren Williams for approval
- A letter is sent to the client notifying them of the decision.
Report on FRC Meeting – Bruce Miles, FRC Representative
- For every $1 spent at the VR, the return on investment is $10.67
- VR is celebrating 90 years of providing services
There is no old business to report.
There was a brief discussion to look at travel going forward.
There was a brief discussion regarding the need to communicate with FILC (Florida Independent Living Council) regarding scheduling meetings.
The meeting adjourned at 11:00 AM