FLORIDA REHABILITATION COUNCIL FOR THE BLIND
Florida Southwestern State College
8099 College Parkway, Building U, Room 102
Fort Myers, Florida 33919
Thursday July 28, 2016
The meeting was held at 6:35 P.M.
Council Members Present: 11
Robert Kelly, Mikey Wiseman, Sylvia Stinson-Perez, Patricia Lipovsky, Bruce Miles, Donte Mickens, Robert Doyle, Gloria Mills, Sandra Burke, Paul Edwards, Howard Bell
Council Members Absent: 3
Leanne Grillot, Charles Brooks, Jesus Garcia
Council Staff: 1
Consumers Present Via Phone: 0
Chairman Robert Kelly stated the Rehabilitation Council for the Blind is a group of volunteers appointed by the Governor. Mr. Kelly stated the purpose of the council was to assist the Division of Blind Services with the development of its plans and assist in evaluating the effectiveness of its services. Chairman Kelly asked if there was an objection to dispense with the introduction of the audience members due to the late start of the meeting and requested that anyone choosing to speak to complete a speaker card.
First Consumer Comment
- Suggested children in school get into DBS before they meet the criteria.
- Expressed concerns over the 12-hour mandatory per month at the Lighthouse. The consumer suggested kids receive credit for the time they spend at school participating in activities.
- Expressed concerns about Vocational Testing and suggested that extra time and large print included in IEP’s should also be allowed during Vocational Testing.
Second Consumer Comment
- Expressed concerns over the lack of services in Charlotte County.
- Director Doyle suggested to meet after the meeting to discuss options.
Third Consumer Comment
- Expressed gratitude for the DBS services received.
Lighthouse of Collier
Robin Goldstone Garcia presented a report. A summary of the report is below.
- Lighthouse of Collier offers programs/services to help the blind and visually impaired become independent in Collier County.
- Lighthouse of Collier offers programs for Blind Babies, Children, Transition Students and Adult programs such as Orientation and Mobility, Daily Living Skills and Vocational Rehabilitation.
- The Lighthouse of Collier was awarded in June by the Collier County Business of the Month from the Collier County Board of Commissioners and the Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce.
- The Lighthouse of Collier is accredited by the national Accreditation Council for Blind and Low Vision Services through 2020.
The meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM.